Air Quality by Carrie McVige

Home Forums Respiratory System Air Quality by Carrie McVige

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Gielow

I’m just picking a place to begin with this topic. Our air in our homes needs cleaned up regularly if we expect to breathe easily.
    So what are some things we can do? Google it and you’ll find lists that look like this:
    1. Ventilate regularly by opening a few windows for a few hours a day even in cold weather.
    2. Change your filters monthly.
    3. Regularly vacuum and sweep up dust, dander, pet hair.
    4. Launder and dry bedding regularly to keep dust mites down (use allergy covers if needed).

I once had a distant family member come over to my house asking what I could do for his asthma and I of course start with my favorite resource book – the EODR, and nutrition. Well, I completely had overlooked something that had been obvious to me for many years – the laundry habits he learned from his mom. Even as a child, I had been sensitive to laundry products and would take my own towel from home with me if I stayed the night with friends or at a gym or pool. So for many years I used homemade laundry detergent or something with NO added scents and never any dryer sheets or fabric softeners. So I didn’t even think about asking him about his laundry products at his initial question to me… Then one day I had stopped by his apartment and going near the laundry in progress took my breath away. ALL the chemically laden stuff that made him feel his clothes were clean were right there in plain sight. He had NO idea that his laundry habit was why he couldn’t breathe.

And I’ll add, regularly check your habitual products with looking up on the ewg.org website the ingredients in them.
    Get rid of the dryer sheets, the ‘fragrances’, the plug-ins, the candles, and the body care products with known endocrine disrupting synthetic scents. Breathe deep, breath free <3

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.